Friday, December 19, 2014

The Only Sibling - A Personal Favourite

"Get lost! Go to hell! I'm studying you creep! Stop blasting the TV! Stop eating up all my chocolates! Why doesn't dad send you to boarding school? Stop using my deos! Stop wearing my track-pants!" – These are words that must have resonated across generations, in virtually every household - every language, every culture, age and demographics of siblings.

My household wasn't particularly different.

We argued. We teamed up. We fought. We made up.

In theory, we may be only a year apart. But in maturity, he is light-years ahead of me.

He, the head. Me, the heart. He, the ferrari. Me, the cart. He, the damage controller. Me, the mess-maker. He, the protocol man. Me, the ground-breaker. He, the rational. Me, the romantic. He, the move on-er. Me, the nostalgic.

With such diametrically opposite attributes, little wonder then that our relationship has always been like an ocean. With its own high tides and low tides.

No plateaus. Ever.

*******

I remember many moons back when I was learning how to drive, I had once asked him, "So what should I do if my tyres ever get punctured?" Without batting an eyelid, I remember he'd said, "Get out of the car. Open the diki. Find the stepney..." And so on and so forth. He explained the entire process of changing the tyre of a car to me. One step at a time. Not for once saying, "Pull over to the side. Wait inside the car. And call me or papa."

Here's a small something for the one who always protected me like a girl. But raised me like a boy.

My Google map, my Dairy Milk share-holder, my beating heart. The dark would be such an ugly place without you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment